Speaking of lists, I figured I'd take the results of the Village Voice's annual Pazz & Jop music critics poll and boil them down to just the top 10 rap albums, like I do with the Pitchfork lists.
With all due respect, past and present, and without further... to do:
- Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Part II (8th overall)
- Mos Def - The Ecstatic (11)
- Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3 (27)
- K'Naan - Troubador (35)
- Doom - Born Like This (44)
- DJ Quik and Kurupt - Blaqkout (62)
- Drake - So Far Gone (78)
- Brother Ali - Us (95)
- Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day (95)
- Eminem - Relapse (133)
Notice the dearth of LCD rap, including a complete absence of southern rap. I'll just take this as further proof that a) I'm not crazy, and b) the critical establishment in the hip-hop community has been taken over by a relatively small cabal of people whose views aren't representative of the overall community of people with discerning tastes. Essentially, the same shit I've been saying.
Pazz & Jop 2009 [Village Voice]