January 23, 2007
Fun facts about Red Lobster
Courtesy of, where else, Wikipedia:
- Red Lobster is owned by the same company as (of course) Olive Garden and Bahama Breeze.
- New York Knicks head coach Isiah Thomas loves Red Lobster, once even greeting Jim Rome on Rome's program, The Last Word with, "I just got back from Red Lobster."
- On the reality show, Flava of Love, Flava Flav took one of the girls to his favorite "romantic" spot. Little did she know that that spot was Red Lobster. She was disappointed.
- In 2003, the company took a substantial hit to its earning due an "endless crablegs" promotion. They had obviously underestimated how many times people would order more. CEO Edna Morris was subsequently fired.
Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Red Lobster's infamous Cheddar Bay biscuits are just made of Bisquick and shredded cheddar cheese.
- They won't let you have any unless you order an entree. (Apparently this has been an issue.)
- One biscuit contains 160 calories, 9 grams of fat (51% of calories), 17 grams of carbs and 0 grams of fiber.
- After baking they are brushed with a combination of "liquid buttery sauce," consisting mostly of hydrogenated vegetable oil, salt and artificial coloring, and the same garlicky seasoning powder used in the chain's shrimp scampi.
- Not unlike half the shit at Taco Bell, there was no such dish as shrimp scampi until Red Lobster invented it. Scampi is the Italian word for Norway lobster and generally refers to a dish of fried Norway lobster.
- At Red Lobster, the term refers to shrimp cooked in oil and the same "garlicky seasoning powder" used on the Cheddar Bay Biscuits.
- The dish has been widely copied, often with the same name. Sister operation Olive Garden even serves some shit called Chicken Scampi.
Byron Crawford a/k/a Bol is the celebrated author of several books, most recently NaS Lost: A Tribute to the Little Homey.
- Amazon (Paperback)
- Amazon (Kindle)
- CreateSpace (Paperback)
- Smashwords (ebook)
- Barnes & Noble (ebook)
- iTunes (ebook)
- Kobo (ebook)
Posted by Bol at 12:59 PM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Fun facts about Red Lobster: