Disclaimer for people really, really determined to not read anything else on this page: This is not my own list of the ten best rap albums that came out in 2006. I contributed to it in the sense that I put together a list of my ten favorite rap albums this year, and then the guy from About.com combined it with several other hip-hop bloggers' lists to create this master list.
The list, in Fitz countdown order:
- #10. AZ - The Format (Quiet Money)
- #9. The Coup - Pick a Bigger Weapon (Epitaph)
- #8. Jay-Z - Kingdom Come (Roc-a-Fella/Def Jam)
- #7. Rhymefest - Blue Collar (J )
- #6. T.I. - King (Atlantic)
- #5. The Game - Doctor's Advocate (Geffen)
- #4. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (ZLG)
- #3. Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor (Atlantic)
- #2. The Roots - Game Theory (Def Jam)
- #1. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale (Def Jam)
Bol's thoughts on the list:
Wow, what a shitty list! Only three of the albums I voted for even made it into the top 10. Perhaps even more shocking though is that none of the albums in my top three even made it onto the list at all. In fact, I was the only blogger that voted for any of them.
Seriously, people, Jedi Mind Tricks' Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell was the best rap album that came out all last year. 7L & Esoteric's A New Dope and Diddy's Press Play (I know) were also way up there. Don't sleep on that Mr. Lif either.
If there's a trend this year, it's that a lot of these artists who are normally critical darlings, but who are also far from the height of their creative output (Ghostface, anyone? The Roots?), managed to do really well on the list.
Also, it seems like the artists we wrote about most did the best in the year-end poll, regardless of whether or not they had the best albums. I know I'm as guilty as anyone else of writing about the artists in the top five a lot more than most of the artists on my own list.
After the jump is the list I put together. If you've got one, feel free to post your own top 10 list in the comments. I'm kinda interested to see what people really think are the 10 best rap albums this year.
Here's the list I put together, though I should note that a) of my ten favorite albums this year overall, maybe less than half would be rap albums, and b) I threw this list together in just a few minutes. If I had it to do over again, I'm sure there's plenty I'd change about it.
That said, I like all 10 of these to varying degrees.
- Jedi Mind Tricks - Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell
- Diddy - Press Play
- 7L & Esoteric - A New Dope
- The Game - Doctor's Advocate
- Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
- Mr. Lif - Mo' Mega
- Juggaknots - Use Your Confusion
- Louis Logic & JJ Brown - Misery Loves Comedy
- Rhymefest - Blue Collar
- J Dilla - Donuts